Quick Links

Quick Links

Darley Churchtown

CofE Primary School

Google Services

Google Translate

Google Translate

Google Search

Google Search


How do we identify and assess children with SEN?

How do we identify and assess children with SEN?


Most children and young people will have their special educational needs met in mainstream schools through good classroom practice. This is called Quality First Teaching.


At Darley Churchtown we follow a graduated support approach which is called “AssessPlanDoReview“.


This means that we will:

  • Assess a child’s special educational needs;
  • Plan the provision to meet your child’s aspirations and agreed outcomes;
  • Do put the provision in place to meet those outcomes;
  • Review the support and progress.


As part of this approach, we will record the provision that we will make to meet a child’s special educational needs and agreed outcomes. Parents and carers will be fully involved in this process and will be invited to termly meetings to review and write outcomes.


A small percentage of children and young people with significant learning difficulties might need an assessment that could lead to an Education, Health and Care Plan. Full details can be found on the 'Local Offer' website.


A special educational need can be a number of different things. For example, a child may be having problems with reading, number work or behaviour, which can be helped by putting extra support in at school and by working in partnership with parents. It may also be due to a disability which makes it harder for a child to use the same educational facilities that the school provides for the majority of children. For some children this may be a temporary difficulty, while others may have a long term need for special help.


Types of special educational needs can include:


  • General Learning Difficulties – children whose learning progresses at a slower pace
  • Speech and Language Difficulties
  • Behavioural Difficulties
  • Dyslexia (difficulties with reading, writing and spelling)
  • Developmental coordination delay  (problems with motor skills, organisation)
  • Autism
  • ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity)
  • Downs Syndrome
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Other Physical or Medical Needs


Types of SEND at Darley Churchtown


At Darley Churchtown we ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs make the best possible progress.

There are four broad areas of SEND (as defined in the SEND code of practice). These are:


Communication and Interaction
This area of need may include children with Autism Spectrum Condition and those with Speech, Language and Communication Needs.


Cognition and Learning
This includes children with Specific Learning Difficulties, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Severe Learning Difficulties and Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties.


Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
This includes any pupils who have an emotional, social or mental health need that is impacting on their ability to learn.


Sensory and/or Physical Difficulties
This area includes children with hearing impairment, visual impairment, multi-sensory impairment and physical difficulties.


We have experience of supporting children and young people with a wide range of needs.


Evaluating Our Provision


How do we evaluate the effectiveness of our provision?


The SENCO regularly evaluates the effectiveness of SEN provision across our school by:


  • Regular meetings with the Senior Leadership Team to monitor the SEN provision within the school;
  • Termly reviews of data and children's progress, scrutiny of children's work, lesson observations and learning walks to assess impact.
  • Monitoring of small group intervention and analysis of the impact.
  • Provision Maps cost out the provision a student received and its effectiveness.
  • Network meetings allow the SENCO to discuss provision with other professionals and reflect on practice.
  • Frequent liaison with our link governor for SEND.


If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment or you may contact our SENCo directly on